Thursday 13 August 2015

Why Public Speaking?

         Coming from Kampong Speu province, majoring in International Relations, I am VANN BUNNA who is a scholarship student and a member of public speaking class at the University of Cambodia. Before becoming a member of public speaking class, I had attended many workshops, conferences, social works and I noticed that most of the presenters or speakers speak confidently and they are very attractive. I wondered why they can speak without be scare or afraid in front of many people and they also have the way to attract the audiences listen to them with concentration. I always imagined that one day I will become like them and want to be a good public speaker; however, I did not know the way how to achieve it. One day after I have finished the Center of English Studies (CES), I joined Welcome Week workshop at the University of Cambodia and I also saw Mr. Brendens Lek who is a Director of Student Development Center presented how to become a good public speaker and he told audiences that he was running public speaking class for free to students who want to study. When the workshop was finished, I came to Student Development Center to register in order to learn this course. After becoming a member Public Speaking Class, I realized that Public Speaking Class is not only guide me how to be a good public speaker but also provide me many things. So what have I learnt from Public Speaking Class so far?


Firstly, what I have learnt from Public Speaking Class is how to build confidence. I do believe that all people, child, adult or older people are still afraid when they are speaking in public place with many people. In order to build confidence, public speaking teacher Mr. Brendens Lek always gave me or other students a chance to speak not only in class room, but also at 1st floor of UC building, Dean room and at UC restaurant which have a lot of students and UC staffs there. It is not easy to speak at that place but we must do it because it is a good way to show who we are and make us to have confidence. Because of the way I am practicing it every day and every day, I often get good scores of my presentation in class. For instant, I am studying in evening session and my lecturer appointed me as vice-monitor in class. When the class had started, lecturer gave me a chance to speak on the state in front of nearly 200 students. While I was speaking, I realized that all students really pay attention to listen to me and like my speech. Because of my confidence which I have built during public speaking class, I could speak really well in front nearly 200 students.



Secondly, I know the way how to write Impromptu Speech, Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter from public speaking class. Writing impromptu may be difficult and complex, if we don’t know the format of writing it. In public speaking class, teacher taught us the format of writing impromptu speech. In order to write impromptu public speaking speech, teacher said that the writer should know what they want to teach the audiences in their speech first and they also should know the how express their feeling like sadness, normal, and excitement in order to catch the audiences’ feeling.  Moreover, in order to get a job, all applicants must submit their curriculum vitae (CV) and cover letter to institution which they want to apply for. Knowing the way to write CV and Cover letter is great tool for applicants to get a job. I used to write it by myself to apply for a job but unfortunately, I did not pass a short-list to interview for many times. After that, I asked Mr. Brendens Lek to help me to edit my CV and cover letter. He told me that you should focus on what company need and don’t write too much with what they do not require. After his editing my CV and cover letter, I understand how to write it effectively and then I apply for a job again to other company. Fortunately, I am called to interview and after interviewing, I am employed. So now I have a job to work which I can gain experiences and money to support my studying although I am just in term II.




Finally, the great thing that I have got from Public speaking Class is friendship.  Am I dreaming now? This is a question that I always say myself every day. I am hard to believe that I can meet all generous people like Brasit, Sokhear, Veasna, Kimchun, Soveth, Heng, Linda, Smy, Rany, Sokcheng, Thida, Sreynich and others whom I don’t remember. Having them as friends make my life to become meaningful and we are always there for each other. Although we come from difference province, family, vision, level, and don’t know each other before, friendship makes us in common and I dare to say that I do consider all of them as my real brother and sister. It’s hard describe why I dare to say that but what I am writing now comes from heart and my real feeling. Because of the way studying and increasing from teacher, Public Speaking Class makes us to become closer and closer with each other. Furthermore, Mr. Brendens Lek is not only a teacher but he is also a good friend whom I can talk everything to him. You maybe say that I exaggerate it, but it is really true. I used to study with many teachers so far and I realized that most of them are just doing his rules as a teacher but they rarely make closer to their students. As for Mr. Brendens Lek, he is very close to students. He loves to help me and other students not only the lessons but also with other tasks. I am really happy to have him as my teacher and friend.




Last but not least, Public Speaking Class really change my life. It provides me to build my confidence when I am talking with all class of people. It teaches me the way how to write effectively impromptu speech, curriculum vitae and cover letter, and I can make relationships with others during class. Moreover, I would like to say thank you to the University of Cambodia which have established the Student Development Center which is a great place to build student soft-skills and the way to guiding me to be optimistic person. Furthermore, I also thank Mr. Brendens Lek for his coaching and contribution. I wish him success and have good luck in his career and his life. Thanks!!!

Best regards,

Vann BUNNA



No comments: